|East of the Mountains|
There is also a barrel (full of old grease), and two piles of rocks. Searching the first pile turns up nothing interesting, but the second pile reveals a silver-toothed skull. If you have Doc Alice as a pardner, she will explain that it was likely removed using a pickaxe.
Having entered the mine you find yourself in an area with a minecart, and a route of tracks for it to follow, with a junction that leads to an open room on the left or to a blocked entrance on the right.
- The cart itself is full of rocks. Once you have the unstable stick of dynamite you can put it in the cart.
- You can shove the cart along the tracks. It follows the tracks according to how the switch is set.
- A switch can be flipped, causing the arrow on the track junction to change accordingly.
- A (headless) skeleton can also be observed. Doc Alice will inform you that they probably died from an advanced case of headlessness.
- An old pickaxe, the kind you might use for removing someone's head, is lying around too. (Note the initials carved into it!)
In here is a lever controlling a "spring-loaded ratcheting mechanism". The minecart on the tracks can be directed (shoved) here and attached to the mechanism. Getting it to work, however, requires the bag of grease. Once fully lubricated, you'll be able to fire the dynamite-loaded cart along the tracks into the rock wall blocking the right entrance.
- The crate contains old, unstable sticks of dynamite. You can take one.
- The lunchbox holds a paper bag and some raisins.
- Beanslingers with Master Cookery will here find a dense bean-iron nugget.
This area is initially blocked by rubble. To unblock it:
- Acquire the paper bag and unstable stick of dynamite from the other room.
- Go back up to the surface with your paper bag and interact with the barrel to the right of the foreman's office to get a bag of grease.
- Back in the mine, put the unstable stick of dynamite in the cart.
- Pull the switch lever to move the arrow to the up position and give the cart a shove to send it into the side chamber.
- Pull the switch lever to move the arrow to the right position and enter the side chamber.
- Pull the spring-loaded lever---grease it up, and send the dynamite-loaded cart along the tracks into the rubble wall.
Into the bottomless pit you can throw various necromancy-related objects. Doing so destroys the item (possibly reducing your future options), but rewards you with experience. You can discard the following items:
- goblet of blood (gain 40 - 43 XP)
- Any of the Nex-Mex series (gain 60 - 63 XP)
- Except the last one, Dark Forbidden Secrets of Nex-Mex, which you will find yourself unable to throw.
- weird knife (gain 50 - 53 XP)
- weird silver idol (gain 70 - 73 XP)
- Crazy Pete would prefer you do not throw it in, although there doesn't seem to be any change in his behaviour either way.
- silver-toothed skull (gain 30 - 32 XP)
- Tossing in the skull also removes the foreman's ghost.
|the foreman's ghost|
|30 - 32|
|30 - 32|
Inside the foreman's office you can acquire a miner's helmet from the hatstand. You'll also encounter the foreman's ghost shuffling papers on his desk. The ghost does not seem to be aware of being dead, and you will not be able to access the safe or his desk without getting rid of him, either through combat, by Intimidatin' (level 3) him out of existence, by convincing him he is dead, or destroying his skull.
- Combat occurs if you show him the weird silver idol, or attempt to open the safe after being told to stay away from it.
- If you observed his silver tooth in conversation, and have the silver-toothed skull you can convince him he is dead without combat. You will, however, lose the silver-toothed skull.
- Tossing the silver-toothed skull into the bottomless pit also removes the foreman's ghost.
With the foreman gone, one way or another, you can investigate the safe and the desk.