Garry the Goblin is one of the unlockable and playable partner in West of Loathing. Gary the Goblin is an friendly and curious goblin who lives in the Cellar of Boring Spring saloon. He is a nonviolent goblin who reserves to peaceful resolutions to problems. He can solve lots of goblin problems and can generally help you during your gameplay.
Recruiting Gary the Goblin
- Tell the bartender in Boring Springs that you can resolve this goblin problem down the cellar. This will unlock the cellar.
- Once there get the bottle of Nurse Whiskey from the crate in the cellar. You'll now gain access to Doc Alice's house when you talk to the Hostler.
- Talk to Doc Alice.
- On the bookshelf you'll find a learning to speak goblin book. This will give you the skill: Goblintongue.
- Return to the saloon cellar and talk to Gary instead of killing him.
- He will now offer to join you mentioning popping.
- Gary knows lots of locations around the game.
|b||The Big Apple|
|e||The West Pole|
|g||Last Custard Stand|
Gary has the following combat abilities:
- Gary-Fu allows him to attack a single target multiple times, with the number of attacks based on his level, capped at 6. Damage done in each attack has some variance, and is based on (5 + the difference between his and the enemy's muscle, minus their armor), to that value + 3 (with a minimum of 1).
- Gary Grunt allows him create a copy of himself to use as a meatshield/attack. Can only be used once per fight.
- The grunt is preferentially spawned in the front-middle spot.
- The grunt will have 9/10 (rounded down) of his muscle, mysticality, moxie, and maximum HP.
- The grunt will attack the front-most target using a Basic Melee Attack, with a base damage of 5 + 3 Gary's level.
3. At level 3, he gains the Fungus Spores ability, which allows him to blast out fungus spores, reducing the entire enemy team's stat by 3.
- Gary can level up by eating bags of Shroom-Gro.
- He has a base of 3*level in each state, although each level also provides an additional, variable increase to his stats, either adding (3, 2, 1), (2, 1, 3), or (1, 3, 2) to his muscle, mysticality, moxie respectively.
- The sum of his stats per level is thus constant, at 15 level
|Level||Muscle||Mysticality||Moxie||Max HP||Armor||Gary-Fu hits||Notes|
|1||4 - 6||4 - 6||4 - 6||15||3||1|
|2||8 - 12||8 - 12||8 - 12||20||5||2|
|3||12 - 18||12 - 18||12 - 18||25||7||3||receives the Fungal Spores ability|
|4||16 - 24||16 - 24||16 - 24||30||9||4|
|5||20 - 30||20 - 30||20 - 30||35||11||5|
|6||24 - 36||24 - 36||24 - 36||40||13||6|
|7||28 - 42||28 - 42||28 - 42||45||15||6|
|8||32 - 48||32 - 48||32 - 48||50||17||6|
- Gary's name means "orange blossom" in the goblin language.
- Gary allows special interactions with almost every goblin in the game, except those found at Ol' Granddad, often allowing you to buy items from them multiple times, such as the eternal flame goblin at the Military Cemetery who will sell you goblin bratwurst after speaking with Gary.
- Gary won't join you if you are wearing the hard hat. This decision is made by the hat.\
- Gary speaks Goblintongue, which is awkward English with potentially alternate meanings for words (as demonstrated by Gary's name).